Work continues on the Richmond-San Rafael (RSR) Bridge Access Improvement Project. A video detailing the progress on the project can be viewed on the MTC website: https://mtc.ca.gov/our-work/plans-projects/major-regional-projects/richmond-san-rafael-bridge-access-improvements.
Construction updates for the week of June 18th are as follows:
- Monday (AM) – Friday (PM): 7AM-3:30PM – Shoulder closures in the westbound direction of I-580 on the RSR Bridge.
- Monday (PM) – Saturday (AM): 9PM-5AM in Marin – Lane closures in the eastbound and westbound directions of I-580 from Sir Francis Drake Boulevard over the RSR Bridge. One lane in each direction will remain open at all times.
- Monday (PM) – Saturday (AM): 9PM-5AM in Richmond – Lane closures in the eastbound and westbound directions of I-580 between Castro Street and the RSR Bridge. One lane in each direction will remain open at all times.
- Monday (PM) – Saturday (AM):9PM–5AM in Richmond – Alternating toll booth closures at the Richmond San Rafael Bridge on westbound I-580. A minimum of 2 cash/FasTrak toll booths will remain open at all times.
- Monday (PM) – Saturday (AM): 10PM-6AM in Richmond – Closure of the eastbound I-580 off-ramp to Richmond Parkway / East Standard Avenue. Please see Detour Map 1.
- Monday (PM) – Saturday (AM): 7PM-6AM in Richmond – Closure of the eastbound I-580 on-ramp from East Standard Avenue and Castro Street. Please Detour Map 2.
SPECIAL NOTICE: THE EASTBOUND PEAK PERIOD USE LANE ON THE RICHMOND SAN RAFAEL BRIDGE IS OPERATIONAL DAILY FROM 2PM TO 7PM.
SPECIAL NOTICE FOR GOLDEN GATE TRANSIT RIDERS: THE GOLDEN GATE TRANSIT DISTRICT BUS STOP LOCATED ON THE MAIN STREET ON-RAMP SERVING SAN QUENTIN VILLAGE (580 ON-RAMP AT MAIN) HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY RELOCATED TO FRANCISCO BOULEVARD. THIS STOP SERVICES ROUTE 40 AND 40X. PLEASE SEE DETOUR MAP 3 FOR THE LOCATION OF THE TEMPORARY BUS STOP. THIS RELOCATION WILL BE TEMPORARY AFTER WHICH TIME THE STOP WILL BE MOVED BACK TO THE RECONSTRUCTED MAIN STREET ON-RAMP.
SPECIAL NOTICE FOR CYCLISTS: THE BIKE PATH SHUTTLE BETWEEN MARINE STREET AND STENMARK DRIVE IS AVAILABLE BETWEEN 7AM AND 7PM SEVEN DAYS PER WEEK. FOR SHUTTLE PICK UP, PLEASE CALL 510-715-1465 MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY OR 510-715-0765 ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY. PLEASE EXPECT A 20-MINUTE WAIT FOR SHUTTLE SERVICE. PLEASE SEE DETOUR MAP 4.
Notice: This information is based on the work plans submitted by the contractors which are subject to change. For the most current information on all lane and ramp closures, please check the web site shown below before beginning your travel.
For More Information
For more information or to see a video about the project, please visit: http://mtc.ca.gov/our-work/plans-projects/major-regional-projects/richmond-san-rafael-bridge-access-improvements. If you have additional questions about the project or construction updates, please call the project hotline at (510) 273-3640.
About the RSR Bridge Access Improvement Project
Over the last 50 years, the Richmond-San Rafael (RSR) Bridge has efficiently and effectively served Bay Area travelers while seeing a steady increase in daily vehicle use in recent years. From 2009 to 2014, the Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT) across the bridge climbed from 70,000 to 80,000 representing a 14.3 percent increase. The RSR Bridge Access Improvements will ease congestion by increasing vehicle capacity on the Bridge and providing a new route for non-motorized travelers.
The RSR Bridge Access Improvement Project is made possible by a partnership between BATA, Caltrans, the Contra Costa County Transportation Authority (CCTA), and