The National Weather Service has issued a RED FLAG WARNING for all of Marin county from until 5 am Tuesday.
MAJOR FIRES STARTED OVERNIGHT AND ARE CURRENTLY BURNING IN SONOMA AND NAPA COUNTIES! MANDATORY EVACUATIONS ARE UNDERWAY!
DO NOT CALL 9-1-1 FOR A SMELL OF SMOKE ONLY. SMOKE IS DRIFTING TO MARIN FROM NEARBY FIRES. CALL 9-1-1 IF YOU SEE ACTIVE SMOKE OR FIRE LOCALLY.
Strong north and northeast winds and very low humidities will combine to create extreme fire growth potential, contributing to wildfire conditions that fire fighting resources may be unable to control. Read the full fire weather forecast here…
Marin County Open Space and Water District lands are closed (call to confirm)
• MMWD Mt. Tamalpais watershed lands are closed to public motor vehicle traffic on Sky Oaks Road beyond the Sky Oaks Ranger Station.
• All watershed land use permits have been suspended.
• Natalie Coffin Greene Park is closed to vehicle traffic.
• For additional MMWD closure information, please call (415) 945-1195
• All Marin County Parks events and programs on open space land are cancelled for duration of warning.
• For additional Parks and Open Space closure information, please call (415) 473-6387
What can I do to protect my home and family?
1. Review the Ready, Set, Go wildfire preparedness program
2. Create a wildfire evacuation plan and prepare now, BEFORE a fire starts.
3. Do not use charcoal barbecues.
4. Do not use power tools outdoors.
5. Clean ALL leaves and needles from your roof, rain gutters, and around your house.
6. Do not drive or park in dry grass.
7. Once you’ve completed steps 1-6, take action to create or enhance your home’s Defensible Space. Directions are available at www.firesafemarin.org/defensible-space.
8. Call 911 if you see or smell smoke.
For more information on disaster preparedness, please visit FIRESafe MARIN online!